One of our core values relates to continuous improvement. This is fundamental to all business activities – from the support offered to our customers, employees and our local communities and is demonstrated with management commitment to establish and maintain an ISO 9001 Quality Management System. Of equal importance, however, is our business activities and how they interact with the environment.
There is no hiding from the fact that we supply natural gas and electricity, fuels that can be extracted or generated from fossil fuels. Therefore, we feel that we have a greater responsibility than most when it comes to looking at the impact our business operations have on the wider environment.
We know that we must do our part to make our business as sustainable as possible to support national objectives and this Statement represents our commitment. We do not underestimate the challenges that will face us and the changes that we will need to take to reduce our environmental impact. Therefore, forward steps will be both progressive and proportionate in nature.
Our employees are of course an essential partner in our overall commitment to sustainability. Not only are we continually investing in the well-being of our employees, we are committed to creating a culture that is safe, respectful and inclusive for all. Through honest communication and involvement, we believe that we can inspire colleagues which will help us create new sustainable initiatives.
During our sustainability journey, we will continually learn lessons, review progress as well and build upon successes.
Here are some of the first steps we have already taken relating to the environment, continual improvement and employee well-being:
- Free access to 24/7 mental health support, legal and financial advice for all our employees through our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Investing and refurbishing our Crown Point offices, enabling an office space that is both comfortable and promotes employee interactions
- Installing on-site solar generation and energy-saving technologies to reduce our direct environmental impact
- Invest in resources to help establish our carbon ‘baseline’ and devise a plan to reduce our operational carbon footprint
- Management commitment to establish a quality management system to ISO 9001 – here
- Management commitment underpinning our Environmental Policy – here
- Frequent fundraising activities for two local charities, providing support in the Greater Manchester area
- Promoting lower carbon product options and carbon offsetting programs to help our customers reduce their own environmental impact