New Customer FAQs

Not got time to give us a call? Take a look at our  New Customer FAQs, if you are still unsure don’t hesitate to call our team on 0161 762 7744.

How will my meter be read?

If your energy meter has been upgraded to comply with current Government regulations, we will automatically receive a daily meter reading from your meter. We may however also contact you occasionally to provide a physical read just to make sure the consumption recorded matches the physical dials on your meter.

If your meter has not been upgraded, it will be read in line with industry guidelines by our appointed meter reading agent. Unfortunately, these guidelines mean that not all meters are read monthly, even though you receive invoices monthly. With this in mind, we suggest that you contact us at the end of each month with a current reading so that we can bill you to actual reads and avoid the inconvenience of estimated bills.

How do I submit meter reads?

To ensure that you are provided with the most accurate energy bill, we require a customer read submitted to us on the last working day of every month. You can provide us with your meter readings in numerous ways, just pick the one that best suits you:

Telephone: 0161 762 7744



Customer Portal: submit your read via the customer portal link

When will I be invoiced?

You will be invoiced monthly and we aim to process the invoices within the first week of every month.

How and when do I pay my gas invoice?

If your account is set up on agreed monthly Direct Debit payments, your payment will be taken on or around the 20th of every month. You will still receive a monthly gas invoice for accounting purposes. If you would like to set up your account on Direct Debit, please print off the form in this document, complete and return to us. You can also do this by contacting us by telephone on 0161 762 7744 or email

If you haven’t agreed to our Direct Debit method, we accept payments via BACS or cheque. Please refer to your invoices for the correct bank details to make your payments to.

All invoices are payable 10 days after the invoice is issued, unless agreed otherwise.

My account is in credit, how do I request a credit refund?

Where a credit balance is owed, please contact us with your account number and payment method you wish us to refund. A copy of our Credit Balance Policy can be found on our website.

How do I register for the Customer Portal?

Click here to register for our online Customer Portal. You will need to provide your name, email address and set up a password.

In order to register for this free service, we need to ensure that we have your correct contact details on file already. If your email address has been updated and you have yet to let us know, you will need to contact our team to update your records before using this to sign up to the portal: email or telephone 0161 762 7744.

What do I do if I smell gas?

If you smell gas or think there may be a gas leak, call the free Gas Emergency Service line immediately on 0800 111 999. This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The trained operator will talk you through what you should do.

The operator may ask you for the following information, so please have them to hand:

  • The address of the suspected gas leak, including the postcode
  • How many people are in the premises?
  • Where you think the gas leak is coming from?
  • How long you have noticed the gas leak
  • Are there any properties nearby that could be affected by the gas leak?
  • Your name and phone number
  • Any special circumstances and access information
What do I do if I experience a power cut?

If you experience a power cut, simply call 105 for free. 105 is the nationwide number that will put you through to your local electricity network operator – the company that manages the cables, wires and substations that bring electricity into local homes and businesses. The 105 website also contains useful content including preparation advice here.

What should I do if I see a damaged overhead electricity line or substation?

Call 105 immediately to report the problem to your network operator. Keep as far away from the hazard as possible. If there is a serious immediate risk (e.g. cables obstructing a public highway), call the emergency services too.

What should I do if I vacate my property?

Please let us know about your relocation plans ideally 28 days in advance so that a change of tenancy can be completed. This can be done by calling us on 0161 762 7744, by emailing or by completing a Change of Tenancy form available on our Customer Portal or website Once complete, please return the form to For any queries in relation to moving property, please contact our Customer Experience team on 0161 762 7744.

Please note if you have already moved out and have not informed us you will remain responsible for the gas supply to the property and all costs associated with it, therefore it is important that a change of tenancy is completed as close to your moving date as possible.

How do I renew?

If you are a micro business customer you will be contacted no later than 60 days prior to the end of the Relevant Supply Period with details of our renewal offer. If you do not accept this offer then your contract will automatically terminate on the contract end date from which point you will be charged at our out of contract rates until you switch supplier or agree a new contract with us.

If you are a not a micro business you will be contacted no later than 90 days prior to the end of the Relevant Supply Period with details of our renewal offer. If you do not accept this offer and do not provide Written Termination on or before 60 days prior to the end of the Relevant Supply Period, your contact will automatically rollover for a further 12 months on the market rates applicable at that time.

How do I terminate my contract with you and prevent automatic roll-over?

If you are a micro business customer there is no need to provide us with any notice as your contract will automatically terminate on the contract end date. From this point you will be charged at our out of contract rates until you switch supplier or agree a new contract with us.

If you are not a micro business customer you will need to serve us with a termination notice no less than 60 days prior to your contract end date. This notice must be sent to us in writing by email to If you do not serve us with a termination notice, then you may be automatically rolled over into a new 12-month contract. Termination notices can be made by the following methods below:


Post: Crown Gas & Power, Customer Experience, Crown Point, Heap Bridge, Bury, BL9 7HY

Crown Gas & Power will provide confirmation of all accepted termination requests. For further information on terminating with Crown Gas & Power, please see our terms and conditions section 2 “Duration and Termination”.

What is a micro business?

Crown Gas & Power is required to take all reasonable steps to identify micro business customers. You will qualify as a micro business if you can meet at least one of the criteria below:

  1. Your annual gas consumption is less than 293,000 kWh
  2. You employ fewer than 10 employees and have an annual turnover (or balance sheet) of less than €2million

Unless you notify us otherwise, we will categorise you as a micro business customer if your annual gas consumption is less than 293,000 kWh.

As a supplier we have to take additional steps in keeping our micro business customers informed on matters such as contracts, relevant termination dates and back-billing.

If you wish to notify us that you are a micro business or you want to discuss this topic further, then please get in touch with us via email or by telephone 0161 762 7744.

How do I access the Terms & Conditions?

A copy of our Terms & Conditions of supply can be found on our website

How do I make a VAT / CCL declaration?

If you wish to declare a VAT or CCL exemption, please click here to fill out our online form.

If things go wrong, who do I talk to?

At Crown Gas & Power, we believe in personal service and old-fashioned customer service values. If there is an issue with your account that we have not resolved to your satisfaction and you would like to make a complaint, please let us know. You can find a link to our full complaints procedure on our website

Where can I find a copy of my energy contract?

You can find a copy of your contract on your portal:

You can request a copy of your current contract by contacting us via email or telephone:

Telephone: 0161 762 7744


What should I do if I suspect that someone is consuming energy illegally?

The Energy Theft Tip Off Service is a free service that allows members of the public to report suspected theft. You can contact the service either online, through the Stay Energy Safe website or through a 24-hour free telephone service 0800 023 2777.

Where can I obtain a copy of your Privacy Notice?

Crown Gas & Power is committed to conducting its business in accordance with all applicable Data Protection laws and regulations and in line with the highest standards of conduct. For these reasons we would like to make you aware of our Privacy Notice which can be found on our website

The Privacy Notice will inform you of who we are, what personal data we collect, why we process it, who we share your data with, your rights (including how you can access your personal data) and how you can get in touch with us. You can always contact us to request a hard copy of it or get in touch with us directly to discuss its content.

What our customers say

You’ve made the process very simple, turned things around very quickly and kept me up to date all the way. It is really refreshing to have such a service with a new connection.

Rory - Broker

When you change gas suppliers and get a fantastic deal, you worry that the service may not be good when you need it, you have certainly put that to rest.
Fantastic, Thank you!

Jackie - Customer

Prompt, accurate, friendly and professional service.

Stewart Hugill - Customer