James Lee
- 28 September 2021

Simplifying the terms used in the business gas industry

Gas tap with pipeline system at natural gas station.

How your gas got to the pipes to fuel your business isn’t necessarily something you’ve spent much time mulling over. But if you have wondered about the process, you don’t need a science lesson to know the basics.

Crown Gas & Power Siteworks Team Leader Danny Madden explains some of the most commonly used phrases in the process in plain English so the next time you’re asked about your gas or are confused by an inlet or ECV, you’ll know what you need to get you by.

What is the gas distribution network?

The UK’s gas is transmitted via the gas distribution network, which consists of gas stored in pipes spanning across thousands of miles in the UK. The gas distribution network is split into four ownership groups across the UK:

  • Scotia Gas Networks (Scotland Gas Networks & Southern Gas Networks): Scotland, the South
  • Northern Gas Networks: the North
  • Cadent Gas: North West, Midlands, South Yorkshire, London
  • Wales and West Utilities: Wales

These companies take gas from the high-pressure transmission system and distribute it through medium and low-pressure network pipes to customers to make sure your business get the right pressure gas it needs – whether to boil water or fuel large machinery.

What does the gas distribution network do?

  • Maintenance & upgrades for existing pipes running through the network
  • New connections for properties not currently on the network
  • Alterations & disconnections where necessary
  • Extensions to the network for new developments
  • Gas emergencies
  • GT1 surveys*

*GTI surveys are a request for Gas Service Pipe Pressure and Capacity Information. If you intend to increase the volume of gas to your property, a GTI will be required to check if the current service is adequate or if an upgrade to your service is required.

How does gas get from the main network to my business?

Gas is transported from the network via a supply pipe to your meter. Here are some important terms used at this stage of connection installations:

Gas meter

A gas meter tracks the amount of gas that passes through to fuel your business. They are supplied in many sizes and it is important that your business has the correct meter size as you could be paying a higher standing charge for a gas meter that you don’t need.For more information on gas meters, view our meters blog.

Emergency Control Valve (ECV)

The safety mechanism on the supply pipe fitted to all gas pipe installations – its purpose is to control the flow of gas. You’ll find it where the pipe meets the gas meter.

Inlet pipe

Put simply, the inlet pipe is the pipe that connects the gas network to your meter.

Outlet pipe

The outlet pipe connects your meter to your appliances.

Crown Gas & Power Siteworks is a multi-utility connections provider that can manage all aspects of your siteworks project for gas, electricity and water.

Our Siteworks team is on hand to explain any of the above terms in more detail if you need, or to help you work out if you have the right size gas meter for your business get in touch with the team today.